Saturday, August 5, 2017

Thank You, YouTube

I should never take YouTube for granted. The ability to pull up almost any song I've ever liked and then listen to it 40 times in a row. That's something that makes me happy. So when a Commodores song pops into my head and I can't locate the mix CD I made 10 years ago that has it, I can immediately find it on YouTube.

Having been with the same person for 17 years, I haven't needed a breakup song in a long time. But I can still deeply appreciate a tremendous breakup song. Here we have it with Sail On. "I gave you my heart and I tried to make you happy, and you gave me nothin' in return." Ouch. But the best line is "I've thrown away the blues, I'm tired of bein' used." The public pronouncement of "I want everyone to know I'm lookin' for a good time" is also fantastic. The last minute of the song is triumphant.

1979, baby, sailing on to postmodernism.


No comments:

Post a Comment