Monday, January 9, 2017

My Meryl Streep Take

My Meryl Streep take is that everybody should watch Kramer vs. Kramer. It's an amazing drama about marriage, divorce, and parenting. Justin Henry provides one of the great kid acting jobs of all time as Billy Kramer. Dustin Hoffman steals many scenes, such as when he makes French toast for Billy but burns it because life is hard. I'm also known to cry when Billy and his dad eat breakfast together when they've worked their way into a quiet routine. I watch Kramer vs. Kramer whenever I'm lucky enough to come across it. It's also never mentioned as a Christmas film, which is a huge oversight. Every year there are insufferable debates about whether Die Hard is a Christmas movie which is about as interesting a debate as whether a hot dog is a sandwich. A hot dog is not a sandwich and I don't care if Die Hard is a Christmas movie. Meanwhile, people forget that Ted Kramer had to talk his way into a job at a holiday party because he needed income ASAP. He sits on a chair at a holiday party and waits to talk to The Man to get a job. He takes the job even though the salary is beneath him, because sacrifice. Die Hard is a film with gratuitous violence from what I can remember. Kramer v. Kramer is a great all around movie (also a Christmas movie, as now established) thanks to excellent performances from Hoffman, Henry, Streep, and others. Also there's a memorable scene when Henry asks a woman if she likes fried chicken but I won't spoil it for you if you haven't seen the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment