Thursday, October 7, 2021

Exhausted

We're all exhausted, right?

Last fall I was teaching class in my bedroom using Google Meet, with my kids in their bedrooms doing school remotely.

This fall we're back in the routine of going to school.

I didn't miss the commute. 

I'm an early bird so I teach M/W/F. I teach three classes beginning at 9:00 and ending at 12:05. I leave the house by 7:20 a.m. 

Yesterday after finishing class I was in my office for office hours until 2:15. I then went to the grocery store on my way home. The kids came home on the bus. 

My wife got home at 4:45 from work. I was making dinner having just finished taking in a meeting on Zoom, camera off. 

Our 13-year-old had a soccer game at 7:30 at a school thirty minutes away. It's required he take the bus with his team to the game, but then he can be driven home. I dropped him off at school by 6:00 and went early to where the game was, sitting in my car, doing class prep, trying to get ahead a bit. My wife ran errands with our 10-year-old and mowed the lawn.

The game ended at 9:00 p.m. I don't think my son's team managed a shot on goal. I lost track of the score but the other team scored close to 10 goals. They've lost every game except one this season. I stopped counting the losses but it's been a lot of them. It hurts to see your kid's team lose so much.

We drove home and chatted and listened to a Sirius XMU session with José González. We got home at 9:30. I had a beer and popcorn while talking with my wife until 11:00, then crashed. I was up around 3:00 after a weird dream in which I was forced to be involved in a drug deal. I took to the couch, looked at my phone, and read "The Myth of Asian American Identity" by Jay Caspian Kang. It was probably around 4:00 that I fell back asleep until 6:00. 

My head hurts and I don't know whether I'm under or over caffeinated. In any case, I'm going to make more coffee and see what I can make of this way, and see what this day becomes.

No comments:

Post a Comment