Thursday, May 22, 2014

Sociological Nostalgia Trip

I used to frequent this book store on Main Street in Niagara Falls, NY. I hadn't been there in a long time. Spent some time there today.






















I scored some used books. The bottom one is hard to see. It's Masters of Sociological Thought by Lewis Coser. I got it because of the Stony Brook connection. Coser was affiliated with State University of New York at Stony Brook (I don't know for how long) and that's where I went to grad school and completed my Ph.D. in Sociology.






















It was a nice day, so I decided to visit the mighty Niagara Falls. I've been there hundreds of times, having grown up in Niagara Falls and worked a job scooping ice cream near the Falls in my teen years. I try not to take it for granted, and go there at least once a year. I made a one-minute recording:

Afterward, driving through the city, I noticed the stairs of my old high school are badly damaged. The old Niagara Falls High School, on Pine Avenue. I stopped to take a picture. I graduated from this school in 1990. It's not a school anymore.

















I was on the track team in high school. But we didn't have a track. There were no outdoor athletic facilities at the school. The football, baseball, and soccer teams practiced at a park a mile away. We practiced at a beat up track about a mile away. Our "home" track for meets belonged to a different school.

Looking at the steps reminded me of our graduation class picture all those years ago. So of course I found my yearbook.


























Sometimes it's hard for me to believe I'm a sociology professor at a university located a few miles from where I grew up and went to school.

The end.
















No comments:

Post a Comment