Friday, December 22, 2017

Song of the Day - "Baby, Now That I've Found You" by Alison Krauss and Union Station

Last night my wife and I went out for dinner. We got engaged this time of year 14 years ago. Each year we try to have a nice night out around the time of our engagement. On the way to dinner we listened to Christmas music. On the way home I put on my favorite station, Sirius XMU. It's indie rock but on this night there was country music playing, including a song by Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard. It was fun to hear a different genre. This was happening on Jason Schwartzman's Coconut Radio program. For those of you who don't know Jason Schwartzman, please watch Rushmore immediately. It's a near perfect film with phenomenal performances from Schwartzman, Bill Murray, and pretty much everybody else in the film. Also, the soundtrack is amazing. Almost every song in the film is great, the best one being "Ooh La La" by The Faces. As usual, I digress.

On Schwartzman's show last night, there was a woman who was talking about the country songs that were playing. Because we caught the show midstream, we didn't know who it was. My wife wondered if it was his wife. I couldn't tell if it was his wife or his friend. We didn't have it on long enough to know.

Today, while running errands and trying to avoid people crashing into me with their automobiles, and also trying to get out of public as fast as possible to avoid angry people rushing around NOT in the Christmas spirit, I happened to catch a rerun of the show we were listening to. I learned that in fact it was Schwartzman's wife joining him on the program. Her name is Brady Cunningham. It turns out they were playing songs from her life. How cool is that? And then they played the most beautiful song I've heard in quite a long time, "Baby, Now That I've Found You." It wasn't the original song -- and certainly, the original version by The Foundations is outstanding. I've always liked the song. Hell, what's not to like? But today was the first time I heard this cover by Alison Krauss and Union Station. It just blew me away. And not to be super corny BUT the song reminds me of how much I love my wife. Which is a lot. Hearing this song was an early Christmas gift to me. I hope you like it too. Without further ado, I give you:

No comments:

Post a Comment