Thursday, December 28, 2017

Revenge Body is a Social Construction

I don't sleep well. On top of the punishment of being a bad sleeper is the punishment of what's on TV in the wee hours of the morning. I turned on the tube at 3:00ish this morning to find Revenge Body, a reality show on E! featuring Khloe Kardashian.

I will not go on a Kardashian rant. No one wants that from me.

Nor will I assail reality TV.

I will report that I could only stomach 15 seconds of the show.

Until a moment ago I still had no grasp of what "revenge body" means. It's one of those newfangled terms that serves as a reminder that some of us are old.

I was looking for a description of the show and came across this fine summary which also works as a primer on the term "revenge body." If you are of a certain age, you already know what it means.

As for me, I can't unlearn this new knowledge. And now my students can look forward to me trying to drop a Revenge Body reference at just the right time during the upcoming semester. I will let you know if I nail it, or, just as likely, if the attempt falls flat.

Stay tuned.




No comments:

Post a Comment