Thursday, May 16, 2013

Tweets About Various Topics (Mother's Day Shooting in New Orleans; Jason Richwine; Abercrombie & Fitch)

The information train speeds by us. It's challenging to keep track of what others are saying, tweeting, and blogging. It's easy to miss an interesting tweet or forget about a good one that you stored in your favorites list. Occasionally I'll pull together a variety of tweets that stand out to me and post them on my blog. Here are some tweets from the week...
Rashawn nailed it with that tweet. Why didn't the national media converge on New Orleans to heavily cover this violent tragedy? David Leonard blogs about this very topic (link included in his tweet):
Do you know who Jason Richwine is? If not, read Diego von Vacano's op-ed. For more on Richwine, go to Hector Cordero-Guzman's Twitter (@HCorderoGuzman) and scroll through his tweets from the past eight days or so.
Onto a different topic. There's plenty of reasons to dislike Abercrombie and Fitch. The list is growing. Click on link in the following tweet to see what I mean.
Moving on...if you like social theory, check out the Stick Figures in Social Theory Tumblr. Something to keep an eye on...
There's also a new sociological blog by Tanya Golash-Boza to follow...
Great photographs in the next one...
Let's finish with a few observations. I strongly agree with this one...
Overall, I had a positive experience in graduate school. I had an excellent academic experience. My professors treated me well. I made some good friends. But when I hear "graduate school" I think of insomnia and a pullout couch. I spent much of graduate school sleep-deprived and money-deprived. I lived in a tiny studio apartment and had a tiny checking account. I accumulated super-sized student loan debt. I grew tired of writing papers. All things considered, I really do recall graduate school in mostly positive ways. But I agree with Crystal: you couldn't pay me to do it over again. And we finish with a statement about memes:
Indeed! Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment